Sunday, August 24, 2008

Time for Burning Man


I have never been to Burning Man but I have longed to go for a long time. Due to my health I worry about being out in the desert for the length of the BURNING MAN CELEBRATION. As the days are drawing near for the 2008 Burning Man I wanted to share some of the information I found out.

Burning Man is an annual event held in Black Rock City, Nevada. The event starts on the Monday before, and ends on the day of, the American Labor Day holiday. The event is described by many participants as an experiment in community, radical self-expression, and radical self-reliance. It takes its name from the ritual burning of a large wooden effigy on Saturday evening. The event is organized by Black Rock City, LLC. In 2007, 47,366 people participated in The Burning Man Project.[2]



Trying to explain what Burning Man is to someone who has never been to the event is a bit like trying to explain what a particular color looks like to someone who is blind. Check out the web site and you will find the peripheral definitions of what the event is as a whole, but to truly understand this event, one must participate.

No comments: