Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Nest of Dreams


In the last few years I have developed a fascination for architecture and design. There are buildings which capture the imagination of an age I believe, like Bilbao and the Sidney Opera house. I hope to see both of them before I die. Watching and reading news reports concerning the countdown to next summers Olympics in Beijing. I have become fascinated with Jacques Herzog and Pierre de Meuron's National Stadium. Known as the "Bird's Nest" the structure is made of steel elements, interwoven in such a way as to defy immediate comprehension. The tangled form is a highly complex feat of engineering. It may be finished just five minutes before opening ceremonies as some are predicting but in August 2008 it will seat 91,000 people. Here is a link to check out the finalist in the design competition for the stadium.http://www.bjghw.gov.cn/forNationalStadium/indexeng.asp

No comments: