Sunday, July 13, 2008

Ansbach, Germany


I used to live in Ansbach, West Germany from 1986-1987, when I was serving in the US Army in the 630th Military Police Company-3rd platoon. I was thinking about Ansbach recently and the European lifestyle. I have also been listening to a lot of the music that I listen to then, so I am having a few flashbacks....from the WWW, I wanted to post some info. about Ansbach in case anyone is interested....

http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&q=ansbach+germany&z=12

Ansbach is located in the northern part of Bavaria, approximately 117 miles southeast of Frankfurt and 26 miles southwest of Nuernberg. Ansbach Military Community consists of three separate US installations. Shipton Kaserne, home to 6th Bn., 52nd Air Defense Artillery; Katterbach Kaserne, where the 1st Division's 4th Combat Aviation Brigade resides, is associated with Bismarck Kaserne, where the post exchange, theater, and community club are located, and Barton Barracks, home to the 235th BSB. The BSB has a fishing/camping area, Soldiers Lake, in Ansbach.
Ansbach is a small town and is the seat of Government for Middle Franconia, located in the southern part of Germany. Approximately 40,000 people live in Ansbach and 90,000 in the greater Ansbach area. Ansbach is a beautiful city with a rich history. Margrave's Palace, the Orangerie and Park, and the Kasper-Hauser-Memorial are just a few of the many historical sights located here. Ansbach has a population of about 40,000 and is the capital of Middle Franconia. There are many opportunities to travel and experience the unique German culture. Community life is excellent. The military community offers many programs geared toward families, as well as single soldiers, with many of the facilities and programs you would find on installations in the United States. These include medical and dental facilities, recreational activities and facilities, commissaries, post exchanges, movie theaters, restaurants, and more.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/facility/ansbach.htm

This is where I lived: Barton Barracks, which was built between 1936 and 1938. During World War II, a German heavy motorized battery was billeted there. The post was named in the honor of Lt. Colonel David Barton who was killed in action June 3, 1944, in Velletri, Italy. Present occupants include the 235th BSB headquarters, military police, military intelligence, and personnel and finance units. I wish I had digital pictures to post but hey this was the mid-80's. I do not have a scanner yet but when I get one I will try to post some photos of my life in the US Army.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I was SP4 Drumheller then
Amy Drumheller