Saturday, September 5, 2009

My old friend Dave Norton


Here's an article about an old friend from Bloomsburg that I went to High School with. He was a few years younger than me. He now lives in Chicago.

CRITICAL BENCH: How did you get involved with Cyclesports?

I've always loved bikes since I can remember. Starting with drag racing big wheels (no, not racing wearing a dress), down West Street in Bloomsburg Pa, where I grew up. When I got into high school, I became too cool for a bike, and chose a muscle car instead. While living in Germany with the Army in 1987, I bought a mountain bike, and rode it everywhere. More cobblestones than dirt, but still rode the heck out of that bike. Mountain biking was VERY new then. I had no clue. In 1990 I went on my first mountain bike ride in Pa after getting out of the Army. 30 miles in the snow with an experienced friend, and I began to "slightly" hallucinate due to exhaustion. AKA "BONK". From that day on I was hooked. I first raced in the desert outside of Las Vegas in 1996. Usually came in top five in the beginner class. (nothing to write home about) So I guess that's when the racing bug bit me.
Here's more of the article:

No comments: