Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Weeds in the Alley


Last week, my neighbors and I, received notices from the City, that the weeds in the back of our property, which is a City Alley (that goes nowhere) needed to be cut down. I was informed when I bought my house that the responsibility for the alley and the weed trimming was the City's. HA HA HA....According to the neighbors and the previous owner, this problem over the weeds happens every summer. I would have been taking care of the weeds and the upkeep of the alley had I known this. Posted are before and after pictures. I, of course, sent a very informative letter to the Mayor and to the Inspector, who sent the Notice. Now that the weeds are gone I have noticed: The weeds and plant growth buffered some of the sounds coming from the apartment building known as "the asylum". The apartment complex, or "the asylum", looks like a 1950's USSR school and is run by an outfit called Housing Development Corporation, which on their web site maintains: Welcome to Housing Development Corporation, a private, non-profit company operating since 1971. HDC's primary business is the development and management of affordable rental housing in Lancaster, Dauphin, Berks, York, Lebanon and Chester Counties. Their web site also states that: HDC is always looking for volunteers to assist the company in fulfilling its mission. Currently, clerical assistance is needed in the corporate office at 439 East King Street, Lancaster. There are also opportunities to assist in groundskeeping at various HDC managed properties. If you are interested in volunteering at HDC, please let us know your interests and when you are available to volunteer.

Everyday, I clean up litter and broken glass, along with recycling the plastic bottles and trash that is outside on their property/sidewalk/road area. Now, I can volunteer for more!!!!!! Yet, I will not see one resident of the apartments, at the community/neighborhood meetings or clean up project this Saturday.

No comments: