Friday, September 28, 2007

The Longhorns


I grew up a very big tomboy and played football with the boys till I had to wear a bra and started middle school, about the age of 12. In the small college town, I grew up in this wasn't looked upon as such a big deal. A few years ahead of me in school, 2 girls tried out for the JV school football team, I guess the year was probably 1978 or around then. I liked pro football back then and my team was the Oakland Raiders. Now I am a big fan of College Football and my team is the Texas Longhorns. Since I live in PA everyone always ask: Why Texas? It is hard to explain. During the late 1990's, I was depressed and needed to make some changes. I started watching College football and I just fell in love with the Texas Longhorns. Their QB Major Applewhite and RB Ricky Williams were breaking records and even included a Heisman for Ricky. When I lived in Danbury, CT, in the late 1980's, I had really good friends that were from Austin and they always told me how much I would love the city. I got laid off from my job and I left on a road trip across the south, sleeping in my truck, ending up in Austin, late on evening. I called my Friends, who had moved back there from living in Connecticut and they were leaving on vacation the next day but said I could house-sit for them like I had in CT. It was weird, I felt so at home in Austin and knew my way around so easily. Just my luck, I was in Austin on a Saturday and there was a scheduled home game against Nebraska. I was able to score a ticket and went alone to the game but I wasn't alone the stadium was packed. I had such a good time. The Texas Longhorns have been my team ever since. I got called back to my job and came back to PA. I have visited Austin a few times since. I went to the Rose bowl to see them play and beat Michigan U. I've made a lot of changes in my life since becoming a fan of UT Longhorns and I'm not so depressed any more.

No comments: